Saturday, April 21, 2007

LBBR?... plus four+


So the acronym stands for Long Boring Race Report.... something I have picked up since hanging around more runners. I don't know if this post will qualify. I doubt it since my report will contain less information about splits and more about, oh... I don't know... Penguins.

Today was the Clean Air 5k down by the Art Museum - kicking off my spring race trifecta. I ran this race mainly because my friend Justin has been training to run a 5k and picked this one as his first ever. So, Team Justin (me, Justin, and sort-of-Steve.... more on that later), made its inaugural debut. We met Justin and his friend, Kate, in front of the Art Museum and chatted for a bit. Kate - the official support crew for Team Justin - carried the duffel bag and was nice enough to allow us to stow our stuff in the bag while we ran.

Due to last minute personal issues on the part of the better looking half of Team Justin, we missed the 'gun' and had to play a little catch up at the beginning of the race. No biggie - we had our 'chips' and our watches to faithfully record our race time. I don't know if Justin will agree, but he seemed like he was doing pretty well for the first mile. Our pace was steady and we weaved our way through some of the slower paced folks. I could tell that as we approached the turn around, Justin was gettin' a bit fatigued, but he hung tough and we maintained our pace through mile two. At this point I could tell that Justin was tired. This put me in a position I have never been in before and I didn't know exactly how to react. Do I try to talk him through it? Say encouraging things? Shut up and try to just keep him on pace? Make jokes? Hmm. I am more accustomed to being in his shoes - being the one struggling and encouraged by the other. And I know that for me, the best way to deal with me in that situation is to not say a whole lot... because if you do say a whole lot, I know that you're really having an easy time of it and I really don't need to hear you flappin' your gums while I can hardly breathe. So I tried the more stoic approach, and I think it boded well in the situation. Somewhere towards the end of mile two, we passed the Penguin (whom we had spotted coming back out way just after the turn around)- some poor sot dressed in a penguin outfit - not sure why, but it makes for good race ju-ju. It's good not to get beaten by the Penguin.

As we approached the three mile mark, I asked Justin how he wanted to do the finish - maintain pace or pick it up. He opted to pick it up and I told him I'd follow his lead. Um... Justin then started practically sprinting. I was impressed that he had so much 'juice' left and I know that means he'll be back for more! Mwahhaahaahaha... another burgeoning runner.

We finished together and met up with Team Justin's support crew/cheering section. I was, of course, curious to learn how the honorary member of Team Justin fared. Steve has been working towards a sub 16 minute 5k for this spring. His first attempt was a few weeks ago and he had felt ready. Unfortunately, it wasn't in the cards that day and he finished at 16:12. Steve wasn't too confident about doing it today, but figured he'd give it a shot - thinking he had maintained the level of fitness he had been working so hard at for the last few months. And, well.... 15:52. Damn - 20 seconds faster than his prior attempt and well below the 16 minute mark. I was ecstatic for him. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be able to do that. All I can do is shake my head and de-fog the speed goggles. (In the interest of posterity, let the record reflect that it was later learned that the Clean Air 5k was actually a 4.9k. While this news was disheartening to more than just a few, it had no effect on the condensation of steam on the speed goggles.)

As I had planned, I got in a few more miles after the race - to make this my 'long' run for the week and, thus, officially kicking off the taper for Allentown. I ran about twenty minutes up Kelly Drive and then turned around and came back. I felt good and decided that in between the 3/4 mile mark and 1/4 mile mark, I'd pick it up a bit. I wasn't going all out, but I wanted to push it a bit to see how I'd do. As I got close to the 1/4 mile mark, I heard footsteps behind me. I could feel this person closing in. "Nope", I thought to myself, "you're not passing me before I reach that marker". I held steady, even picked it up slightly, and successfully held off my pursuer. Curiosity being what it is, I slowed down a bit (and because I was tired) to let the person pass so I could see who I had disappointed in their failed attempt to pass me before the 1/4 mile marker. And wouldn't you know... this little girl, couldn't have been more than nine, comes zipping past, maintaining pace until she was well up the path. I couldn't help but laugh to myself... yeah, I'm such a bad-ass.. holding off the eight and a half year old. Good for her.

1 comment:

ShoreTurtle said...

Hi. I found your blog while searching for the Clean Air race reports.

It was a beautiful day for the race. I saw the penguin guy too. That's funny about you holding off the 8.5 year old. I finished the race just ahead of some guy pushing a stroller. I made up my mind that he wasn't getting by me.