Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Toe Woes

***** Disclaimer*****
The contents of this post may offend some and will likely disgust most. Proceed at your own risk. Thank you.

No, I'm not going to talk about blood blisters again, but I am going to talk about regular ole blisters. You know, the normal kind filled with that clear, watery liquid. For some reason, they've been showing up in between my great and second toes on my left foot. Gross. I know. It began when I started wearing my new shoes (also the blood blisters which, thankfully, have subsided), so naturally I attributed them to the new shoes (even though they are the same make and size as the ones I had previously). Now I'm thinking maybe there is more to it. I blame my bunions. My left foot bunion, to be specific.

For those of you not in 'the know' on all things bunion, they get progressively worse over time. What this means is that the big toe leans further and further towards the second toe. And this is what I think is happening here. My left bunion is worse than my right and I wonder if in it's lovely progression, it's pressing into the second toe enough at this point to cause some friction and hence, a blister, when I run.

At this point, this is just a working theory. Not sure how I'm going to test this hypothesis. I'm kind of hoping it just resolves itself. Or maybe it's back to the podiatrist for me. Which is a problem because the guy I like is out of network and by out of network I mean not at all covered by my crappy insurance (Keystone Health Plan East).

Anyway... besides being a blister sister, my running is going pretty well. I'm excited to run my tenth consecutive Broad Street this year! I'm not setting any lofty goals at this point ... other than I'd like to run it under 90 minutes which is very doable for me right now.

2 comments:

IBX said...

Hi -

Sorry to hear about your toe. We'd like to look into to your issue to see if there is any thing we can do to help you find a provider. Please send us your information using this secure form, www.ibx.com/askibx, and someone we'll contact you.

Also, best of luck to you on the run! If you'd like to stay connected with the event and other runners you can do so by joining the BCBSR Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ibxrun10 or follow the run on Twitter @ibxrun10.

Sincerely,
Ask IBX Team

seebo said...

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your toe. If you would like it messaged or otherwise babied I'd be happy to oblige.

But I don't accept Blue Cross. We'll have to figure out some alternative form of payment.