Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Me and My Shadow

Running and blogging.... two things I haven't been doing much of lately. Thankfully, I've been doing more running than blogging. My last two runs have been through Tinicum - the lower loop. Sunday, I drove to the Tinicum entrance, which seems really pathetic considering the price of gas, my desire to reduce my carbon footprint, and the fact the entrance to Tinicum is about a half mile from my house, but given how I've been feeling on my runs recently, I decided it was worthwhile. I felt pretty good during that run, so today, I decided to go green and get myself to Tinicum and back on my own.

This was about as perfect a fall day as you could get. I set out around quarter after five and watched my shadow keep pace. I kind of liked the company of my shadow, liked seeing my pony-tail bob to and fro... it felt like a familiar sight, but one I haven't seen in quite some time.

Tonight's run was the first time I felt like I might be able to get back into shape following my bout with pneumonia. Lately, I've felt as though the fitness I'd worked hard to achieve over the last several years was slipping through my fingers. Today I felt like it is still within my grasp... it ain't quite gone yet. Still, I have a long, long way to go and I'm not sure that I'll ever get back into the kind of shape I was in this time last year. And I'm okay with that. I just want to be healthy, want to be able to feel like I'm in shape and can go out for a run and enjoy it, like I did today.

I love the fall.

1 comment:

Maggie Mae said...

Welcome back! In my opinion, this is the best time of year to get back into the swing of things...