Friday, April 18, 2008

Mixed Messages

Another beautiful spring morning... one where I was glad to be outside, glad that I fought that ever-present urge to stay in bed. And as I ran, I started to get the feeling that I was supposed to be out there running, that the universe was sending me 'signs' telling me that I was right where I should be. For example.... nearly all the traffic lights were green for me when I needed them to be. This almost NEVER happens - especially when running through the Penn Campus area and over the South Street bridge. But, I swear this to be true, I did not have to stop once or even slow down really during those first two miles.

As I ran through the park where people take their dogs in the morning (I just learned, through the miracles of the internet, that it's called the Markward Playground), I could see a long and slow moving freight train rumbling along the tracks. I wondered if my luck were running out and if I'd be forced to detour my route. But somehow I knew my streak would continue and, as luck would have it, the last cars of the train were passing over the cross-walk area just as I was coming around the bend. Yes, I truly felt that the stars (and freight cars) were aligning to make my run smooth.

That was until I got hit by a car. Ok... so I wasn't really hit as much as I was bumped. I was crossing a street (where, of course, I had the green light). The cars were stopped, as they should have been, and I was passing in front of them when one car began rolling forward. I could see that the driver was twisted around - trying to fish something out of the back seat - and her foot must have slid or eased off the break. It wasn't a big deal and I know I scared the bejesus out of her when I pounded on the hood of her car to let her know, "Hey, you're hitting a pedestrian here!"

Undeterred, I continued my run.... and then it almost happened again! This time it was a van was quickly backing out of an alley. I didn't see him, he didn't see me. Luckily, my cat like reflexes allowed me to skirt out of the way before any bumper-Reba contact could occur. Phew! That could have been ugly.

So... lesson learned... even when you feel like all is right in the universe and you're getting signs that you're good to go... be careful because you never know when something is going to come out of left field and knock you on your arse. And even though the universe might be sending you mixed messages... you've got to go out there and do what you think is right.

Same 5.4 as Wednesday - in 47:20.

Oh... and now the answer to the question that's on everyone's mind.

Good luck to everyone who is running Boston on Monday!!!

No comments: