Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Power of Friendship

I met my friend Amy at Lloyd Hall this morning. You have no idea how nice it is to type that sentence. I miss running with Amy - the miles go by so much more quickly when we're gabbing away. When the alarm went off at 6:30 - my first thought was 'gotta meet Amy'. My second thought was, 'S***, it's raining.' Luckily the first thought was a more powerful force than the second and I was able to get out the door to meet her at 7:30.

The weather was pretty nasty - upper 40s, raining, fairly windy. I'm sure, had I been going it alone, that I would have been miserable much of the time. But it really wasn't all that bad. Somehow, I think that when I run in the rain I don't get as dehydrated... like I absorb the water through osmosis. Don't think there is much truth to that, but I still like the thought.

We did the loop at a relaxed pace and caught up on each other's lives and, of course, did our best to solve each other's problems. After dropping Amy off at Lloyd Hall, I set off to do another four miles. I was feeling good at the end of my run with Amy and was interested to see what I could do for those last four. I was surprised and somewhat dismayed that despite what seemed like a good effort, I was only pulling out 9 minute miles. This didn't make me too happy. I tried to tell myself that I was tired from running the 8.25 with Amy. Still, I didn't like the splits. I tried to keep in mind that, at this point, what's most important is being on my feet and running - no matter the pace - for an extended period of time. And that I did.

8.25 miles in 82 minutes. 4 miles in 36 minutes.... total of 12.25 in 118 minutes.

An update on my contusion (thanks, Amy, for the word). I've been a bit obsessed with it's progression.... can't say why really, other than the fact that I haven't had a bruise like this in a long time... maybe ever. It's puuuurty.

1 comment:

CakeStar said...

I enjoyed the run as well! I do miss running with you regularly... Hopefully I can get my *hit together and run faster...
Looking forward to Allentown- not for the run but for the time to hangout together...