Friday, April 4, 2008

We briefly interrupt this otherwise pleasant run....

I waited for the rain to stop before heading out the door this morning. It was still very wet, but not cold, and I was rather enjoying my run. That is until I took a sharp corner while passing over a metal plate/grate on the sidewalk. I don't even remember losing traction. I just know I took flight and landed hard on my left hip. Ouch. Initially, I was just in shock to be suddenly on the ground. Then, there's that momement where you do a systems check. Yeah... there was some pretty nice pain, but I felt sure I didn't shatter my pelvis or anything like that. As far as I could tell, I just had a minor scrape on the palm of my right hand and a really, really sore left hip/thigh. I'd have to wait until I got home to check for bruising - though it felt like I'd have one. I walked it off for a few minutes and then resumed my run - more cautious of slippery surfaces. Besides the wicked-googly wipe out - the run felt good. No calf pain/tightness and my energy level was good. When I returned home, I more closely examined the damage....
The picture doesn't really do it justice. But, of course, I have to show off my boo-boo and put it in the 'record' for the sake of posterity. Not sure of the total time or mileage, but we'll call it right around 5 miles in 43 minutes.

I also forgot to blog my run from Tuesday. I ran after work - an out an back along Kelly Drive. The sun was shining and after all of the cold and wind we've had lately, it felt surreal to be running comfortably in shorts and a tank top. I'll take it though. 6.1 in 53 minutes.

No comments: