Thursday, July 10, 2008

Easing (my) back into things

I'm happy to report that my back is really feeling a lot, a lot better. What a difference two weeks makes. Went to the chiro/PT yesterday and began the rehab portion of the program, which essentially entails strengthening exercises for my back and my core muscles. When the PT guy asked me, "What kind of crunches do you normally do?"... I had to laugh... I'm a firm believer in zero minute abs. I hate crunches. Apparently this is part of my problems.... weak core strength. That, combined with my "hypermobility" makes for the perfect storm for back problems like I had two weeks ago. So I have yet another regimen of exercises to do... many of which involve one of those annoying exercise balls, which I'll have to purchase.

The best news is that I am (sort of) running again. As I wrote, I did two miles on the treddy on Tuesday. I didn't write about it yesterday, but I did another two on the treddy again. Today, I ventured into the great outdoors. Running three days in a row is virtually unheard of for me, but I didn't feel like yet another gym work out and I wanted to see how running outside would feel. So I kept it conservative and ran this 2.3 mile loop. I felt good, but was surprised that I could tell the difference in how my back felt from treddy running to running outside. Running outside felt like a bit more of a strain, but really, overall, it was good and I'm feeling optimistic.

2.3 in 19:30

No comments: