Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Fourth!

For all three or four people who might actually check this blog on at least a semi-regular basis.... perhaps you've noticed that I haven't had an entry as of late. I did something really bad to my back a week and a half ago. I'm not sure exactly what... popular theories include things like rupturing or slipping a disk, pinching a nerve, etc. What ever I did. It hurt. A lot. For a day I questioned if and when I'd walk again. Luckily the answer to that question was: the next day. Over the past week and a half, things have gotten progressively better and the question changed to if and when would I run and/or salsa again. These two activities have been mainstays of my life for a while now and not being able to do either one has been very trying.

The chiropractor I've been seeing has recommended that I not do either for another week. I try to listen... really I do. But the past two days have been tempting since I've been feeling about 90% better. I was sorely tempted to run yesterday, but since it was my birthday (see Amy's blog for a picture of the beautiful cake she made me), I figured the last thing I wanted to do was to reinjure myself... so I waited... until today.

Nothing monumental in and of itself... just two miles and I did it on the treadmill in case something bad happened. But I felt good. I kept the pace at just over 9 minutes for the first mile and just under nine for the second mile. I felt good. The back felt fine and best of all I felt like I could keep going. I'll probably run again Monday ... probably on the treadmill again to be safe... but maybe I'll go for three... we'll see what happens.

Being injured, stopped in your tracks, is frustrating. I truly try not to take for granted being healthy even though I feel somewhat entitled to good health... given that I'm still (somewhat) young, active, and try to make smart choices for myself. I'm glad to be feeling better and hopefully getting back to my usual routine. So I'll probably run Monday, salsa Tuesday and Wednesday, run Wednesday too and again on Friday... that's not too much, is it?

1 comment:

ShoreTurtle said...

Happy 4th to you.

Get well soon.