Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Goin' down the road feelin' bad

What a glorious morning! You can feel fall about to make her entrance... she's waiting in the wings... waiting for the opening band to play one last song. But I know she's there, I can feel her. Now what could make for a better running morning than almost crisp air, blue skies with the sun rising, and not feeling any 'pressure' for a great training run? Only one thing.....



Yeah, baby! New shoes. Now given that I've been wearing the Mizuno Wave Riders for about five years now, the only real thing to get excited about -besides that new shoe smell- is the COLOR... and WAHOO.... I'm loving the plum/lavender combo. It gives me that happy feeling... EEEeeeee! I know, I know... maybe I need a hobby. But maybe you're thinking that because you didn't get a close enough look. Here, take a closer peek, see if your pulse doesn't quicken:



Whew!!! Okay... moving on to the run. Since PDR is Sunday, I've given myself permission to take it a little easy this week. As Seebo says, the hay is in the barn, so it's not like I'm going to gain any additional fitness before Sunday. Given this, my options were open for this morning. I knew I wanted to do around 5, but I didn't know where. Of course, I considered Tinicum, but since this was only my second run in my pretty new shoes, I didn't want to dirty them up just yet, so I settled on a neighborhood route.

Don't tell anyone, but I ran out to the track. I didn't actually settle on this until about a mile into my run. I figured what the heck, why not see how the track is doing these days. I didn't really want to do any speed work, per se, but I did want to at least set (fresh-Mizuno clad) foot on the track since it's been a while. As I made my way there, I decided that I'd do a mile on the track and then head home - that mile, plus the two out and back to and from the track would give me what I was looking for mileage wise. I wasn't setting out to do this mile at an all out pace, but I did want to try to run a good pace (whatever that means) just to see what that would look like. This was my first mile done on a track. It's different when you're on the treddy and it's different than when you're somewhere like the drives - because even though the miles are marked there, I still don't know the lay of the land well enough to know exactly when the mile markers come up. On the track, it's simple - four times around. Of course I glanced at my splits at each lap - first two were about 2:05 so I picked it up for the last two.... don't remember the splits on those laps, but they were progressively faster and final mile time came in just under 8:10. Not bad, I thought, especially since I didn't feel like I was pushing too hard and since this was my first track mile.

Took the run home nice and easy.... feeling like a track star in my snazzy new kicks. To paraphrase Woody Gutherie's version of this song: It takes a Mizuno shoe to fit my feet.

About five in about 43.

No comments: