Sunday, September 9, 2007

Salsa Hangover

It's been ages since Jill and I got our Salsa on on a weekend. We've made Wednesday nights at Rock Lobster our usual haunt, but now that summer is coming to an end, we'll have to take our sexy pinkies elsewhere. This weekend, however, was a special event: Salsa on the Battleship New Jersey.



Okay, so I was a little disappointed that we weren't actually ON the battleship, but, rather, beside the battleship. Still, it made for nice scenery.... and Ohhh... what a lovely time we had. It seemed that every salsero and salsera we had ever encountered had come out for this end of summer event. There was a live band, a good DJ, and a nice breeze was blowing throughout the night. The only downside was that the dance floors were too small to accommodate all the dancers. Next year they promised to have a bigger floor.... looking forward to that. Here's a pic of me and Jill - pre-Salsa:



We could have danced all night - but we didn't... we left around 1am. Jill and I are getting to be old farts and can't hang as late anymore... especially since neither of us had taken a salsa nap earlier in the day. After some girl talk and a late night snack, I made it to bed sometime after 2am. I'm glad we didn't stay any later since I knew I'd have to get my keester out of bed as early as possible to met up with Amy.

I managed to get up, dressed, and over to Ardmore by 8:15... not too bad. The NBC 10 billboard on 76W said that the temperature was already 72 degrees with **gulp** 98% humidity. This was not going to be fun, but I already knew that. Thank God for Amy (yes, again). So... we headed out on our short, long run. (Shorter than most of the long runs we've been doing lately given that PDR is next weekend). I know this route from having run it once before (or, at least, a close variation of it). It's hilly - and not just by my standards. No, I'm sure it's nothing like the hills some crazy people run, but it is hilly.... nuff said.

With this knowledge in mind, I was sincerely doubting my ability to make it through this run. I was tired, my feet still hurt from hours of salsa (and bachata and merengue), and I knew I wasn't well hydrated. But it was important to me to do so since I didn't run Friday (due to a hangover of an altogether different nature). I needed to do this run at least halfway decently in order to restore my confidence for next Sunday. I surprised myself a bit with how well I was able to suck it up and just plow through despite feeling really bad. Because I'll feel like I'm hiding something if I don't report this, I did walk a portion of one of the steepest, longest hills. I don't feel particularly good or bad about it. Amy - stud that she is - did not stop to walk... and, despite this, did not gain too much time on me.

I felt good at the end of the run - always a good sign and felt like, at least temporarily, my salsa hangover had been cured.

7.6 hilly miles in 69:30

No comments: