Friday, June 22, 2007

Uncharted Territory

I'm grateful for the break in the heat and humidity - makes for nice running. Back to the track today. My iPod was out of juice, so I left it home. Nice and easy two miles out to the track. I thought I'd change it up a little bit today, but not too much. Doing 200s has started to become familiar to me. I am getting more comfortable in knowing what that distance means - which, in turn, means that I can gauge better how hard I can push it. Given that reasoning, that explains why my times have come down a bit each successive workout... oh yeah, and of course, I'm getting faster.

As I made my way out to the track, I thought about a 400. Felt like uncharted territory to me... and it is. Not wanting to stray too much from the familiar, I decided to do 3 x 200s (with 200 recovery in between), then a 400, then another 200, just for shits and giggles. First three 200s were 50.8, 49.8, 49.4. I was pretty happy to get under the 50 second mark. Then came the 400 - I had no idea how to pace this really. The learning will come with time and practice, I suppose. Best I can remember, I did the 400 in 1min 49sec... I think. The last 200 was right at 50. A teeny, tiny little part of me thought about doing another 200 or 400 before heading home, but I didn't... had to get home and showered and ready to face the tyranny that is my job.

The run home was good - kind of fun ... did a little fartlek action. Again... about 5.25 in 46:30 total.

No comments: