Friday, June 1, 2007

Eyes of the World

Some mornings, I feel like I could run forever and some mornings I need a little extra motivation to keep me going. The 'run-forever' mornings have been few and far between lately, so I have to find ways to keep myself on track. It really doesn't take anything spectacular or out of the ordinary to do so... just that little something.

Today it was having the eyes of the early morning commuters on me that kept me going. This is an old 'trick' I've used oodles of times. I purposely stay on main roads and keep in mind that if I don't make it to the top of that hill or slow down too much... I'll look like a wuss... and we can't have that. Now, I realize this is a completely narcissistic and ludicrous notion, but hey, it works. I do know that the folks driving in their cars/trucks/suburban assault vehicles are really just going about their business of the day and don't give a rat's ass whether or not I have a good pace going, if I make it to the top of the hill in good form, etc... if they even notice me at all. I do know this, but somehow thinking that maybe, just maybe, I'm being watched helps to push me a little harder than I might otherwise push myself.

I did the Wawa circuit again - Prospect Park to Ridley Park... with some neighborhood meanderings... and then home again... conquering that last 'hill' by the CVS, then winding through the back roads to the pumpkin patch. I may G-map it later, I may not... but I ran for 50 minutes... and hopefully that was enough to get out a bit of recently accumulated (accumulating) nervous energy.

No comments: