Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Not all who wander are lost

I decided to switch my track day to Friday. The reasoning behind this is that I have my salsa class Tuesday nights, which goes until 10:30, which means I don't get home and in bed until after 11pm... which makes for a tired Reba. Somehow it's easier to get myself out of bed when I'm not facing the track.

While I regularly count my blessings to have a place like Tinicum so close by, I have to say that the neighborhood running around these parts leaves a lot to be desired. But, really, I haven't done all that much exploring. So today I decided to do a kind of meandering version of my Ridley Park run.

I wound my way through some of the back streets of Prospect Park, not sure exactly where it would dump me out. It wasn't too long before I started to recognize some things from a Saturday morning walk I did in Ridley Park a little while back. Crossing over a main road, I soon realized that I was approaching the lake in RP that I recently learned about. Just a few days ago, a young woman out for an evening run was accosted in that area. The good new is she was able to escape; the bad news is that while she was fleeing, she tried to enlist the help of a fellow citizen - a man reportedly in his late 40s/early 50s. The man told her that he did not want to get involved and refused to help her. Nice. Chivalry IS dead. Anyway.... I had fleeting thoughts about that incident and hoped that no one would try to steal me (in case you were nervous, they didn't).

Overall, the run was 'okay'. It was humid as hell this morning. The thunderstorms from last night seemed to do little but put more moisture in the air. I'll try not to complain... I'll try, instead, to remember the run that was my first blog entry - cold, windy, raining hard... miserable. I g-mapped it - 5.8 in 53 minutes.

No comments: