Sunday, August 19, 2007

By Hood and By Wood

As the Distance Run draws near, Amy and I have to try to convince each other to do longer and longer long runs. Last weekend we did eleven.... today we were slated for twelve. Amy has some rollercoasters to ride later today, so we needed to head out early. How early? 6:30 early. I told her the only way I'd get up to run that early on a Sunday (that wasn't going to be 100 degrees) was if she came to me.

I planned out a route that would get us twelve - through some of the neighborhood around here and then up a road... down a road... and into Tinicum from the other end... one and a half loops around Darby Lake and then home again home again, jiggity jig.

I warned Amy that I wasn't familiar with a few of the initial miles of our trek and so I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of elevation changes or whether we'd have a sidewalk to run on or whether we'd be shoulder to shoulder with passing cars. Fortunately for much of the way, we did have somewhere to run... be it a sidewalk or a well worn path along the edge of a cemetery. Unfortunately, the scenery was a little less than picturesque. I think part of Hook Road could best be described as ghetto-industrial. Prime real estate for two cute redheads to get stolen. Amy later told me she was rehearsing some karate moves in her head should the situation have called for it. Luckily, it didn't.

I think we were both relieved when we finally reached the entrance to Tinicum - which, by the way, was only about four miles into our trek. Tinicum was in her glory, as usual... we saw a large gathering of egrets - probably about thirty or more - in Darby Lake. As we made our way around the loop we encountered a few deer, rabbits (of course), and a "rafter" of wild turkeys (yes, I looked that up). I didn't know what they were when I first spied them crossing the trail up ahead, but I remembered Seebo had said he's seen some here, so I deduced that's what they were. There were a coupla bigguns - maybe if I get fast enough by November I can chase one down for Thanksgiving dinner.



The rest of the run.... well... it was long. I'm really, really glad that it's over. I know Amy was too. As we cooled down and walked towards home we made an unofficial pact to never allow anyone to ever talk us into a full marathon. So now I'm home, showered, and just finished a lovely breakfast (spinach and onion omelet with whole wheat toast with fig spread... and coffee). Lots to do today, but first I may take a little nap. And that, my friends, is a very exciting prospect.

12 miles in 1hr 52min.

No comments: