Sunday, August 12, 2007

We Love Philly

Usually, I think about what I might write in my blog while I'm running. Somehow that didn't happen today. Either I flaked or I just got too wrapped up in the run itself to think of anything other than my form, my pace, etc.... Umm.... yeah... What's more likely is that I was too busy talking with Amy, trying to solve all life's problems and discover the mysteries of the universe. We almost got there - a few more miles and I bet we would have figured it out.

Today we were aiming for eleven miles. I have a physical/psychological aversion to anything over ten. More than ten just seems really long to me, but PDR is only a little over a month away. Amy, being the wonderful person that she is, planned out a three mile trek around City Hall to add onto the Art Museum loop to give us the mileage we were looking for. She also smartly suggested we do the City Hall bit first - good call.

We headed out, up the Parkway, and Amy rightly noted that we'd be sure to see lots of homeless folks on this route. Right she was. Up the parkway... through Love Park... around City Hall... back through Love Park (around the other side of the fountain this time).... and then back down the parkway. It was like a Who's Who of the Philly homeless.

And then onto the loop. That old familiar stomping ground. Not too much to note - other than the water fountain we were gunning for was much farther along than we thought. We had a nice breeze most of the way and as long as you were in the shade, it wasn't too, too hot. I picked it up for the last mile or so - especially in that last half to quarter mile. As I told Amy, no way in hell Blondie was going to beat me to the traffic light at Lloyd Hall. She gave chase, but it wasn't happening for her - today was not your day, Blondie.

Afterwards, Amy and I walked to Whole Foods and got ourselves a lovely little brunch, complete with some delicious fresh figs. We love Philly.

Overall, 11 miles in 1hr, 42min.

No comments: