Friday, August 10, 2007

Every callous tells a story... and things that make you go Ewww.

***Warning*** Not for those with queasy stomachs.

My feet are not so pretty to behold. They're not the kind that look cute in strappy sandals - not that that stops me. Running does not help matters. On the rare occasion that I get a pedicure, I am sure to tell whoever is unfortunate enough to have that job ... "Don't bother with the callouses... I need those." Lately, I've been getting blood blisters underneath some of my callouses. Yummy, huh? These are very painful/sensitive to the touch and I don't know if I'm better off leaving them alone or going for the blood letting. Being the scientist that I am, I decided to do an experiment. Since I had a blood blister on each foot, I decided to lance one and leave the other be. Yes, it was gross. I don't do so well with blood. I'll spare you the rest of the details. My findings: Lancing is better.

Okay... moving on... The heat has let up a bit, though not the humidity... but I figured this was my chance to get back outside to run. I've been getting to loathe the gym. I've already been there three days this week. Enough, I decided. So out I went. I ran a neighborhood loop - passing the track - yes... passing it. I've decided I'm not going there again for a little while - my heart just hasn't been in it. Maybe in the fall. A few hills here and there which, I convinced myself, were good for me. Somewhere between mile three and four, I encountered a stretch of road that I really liked - not for the scenery or anything, but it had these lovely, gentle rolling hills. The kind where you just slightly more than barely notice the gentle ascention and declination of the road. The kind of road where you could get lost in your own cadence... run for miles and miles....

"HEY... YOU WANNA RIDE TO THE GYM?" And the spell was broken. I know this guy... well, know him in the sense that I recognize him as one of those lecherous middle aged men who hangs out at the gym all the time. I've actually overheard him say to one of his cronies that he wasn't going to go upstairs (where the free weights and nautilus machines are) yet because all the hot chicks were still on the cardio equipment (which is downstairs). Ewww. I politely declined.

The rest of the run was uneventful. I felt pretty good despite the fact that I was drenched with sweat. Overall, the loop was 6.15 miles - done in 55:40.

No comments: