Friday, October 12, 2007

BOO & HISS

So I went to the doctor's office today to see about this hip pain I've been having for the last month and a half. I didn't know what they'd tell me... though I was sure of one thing... that if they told me not to run, I wouldn't listen. With referral in hand, I went over to the Healthlex in Springfield to see Dr. Collina. Nice facility... nice guy... seemed to know his stuff.

I've never been to a sports medicine doctor before, so it was interesting to see how they do their exams - checking strength, balance, flexibility, mobility, etc. He did all sorts of 'tests', which included pressing on the tendons in my hip/pelvic area. I'm not sure what he learned from that other than I am extremely ticklish. All of this just seemed to confirm what I had been saying all along - which is that it does not feel muscular and it does not feel like a tendon issue. Based on my reports and what he discerned from the various motions he put me through, he said that, most likely, I have a stress fracture - more specifically.... a femoral neck stress fracture.
In order to confirm the diagnosis, I have a prescription for an X-ray and an MRI. Joy. In the meantime, I've been forbidden to run. At all. Of course, I objected.. at which point I received a stern warning that if I choose to run, I'm putting myself at risk for a displaced stress fracture... which is apparently more serious and will cause me a lot more grief in terms of treatment. Blah, blah, blah. So I agreed to give it a week - In the mean time, I'll get the X-ray and the MRI and go back to see Dr. Collina next Friday.

I wish I could say that I'm a stranger to stress fractures, but I'm not. I have had, and likely still have, a tibial stress fracture... also in my right leg. This I've (kind of) dealt with and have learned to manage successfully over the years.

Also... interesting tidbit I learned today. I've always known redheads are special, but today I learned that along with all of the wonderful things and many blessings of being a redheaded, speckled being... there are some, shall we say, costs. According to the fine doctor at the Healthplex, redheads are genetically 'different' in a number of subtle ways from lesser, I mean other, humans. One way that we are different has to do with our collagen - which is the main component in our bones. Apparently, this difference makes us more suceptable to injuries such as stress fractures.

So, I'll try to be a good girl and lay off the running at least until I get the X-ray and MRI. It's very disappointing as I was really starting to see some positive changes in my running. Boo and Hiss.

5 comments:

ShoreTurtle said...

A stern warning not run is not what you wanted to hear. Good luck with the week off. Hopefully, doc will have better news next week.

Don't worry. Your positive changes in running won't go away overnight.

By the way, have you watched the South Park epsiode about redheads? My wife (who is a redhead) & I watched it the other day onDemand. It was really funny.

jillejill said...

oh sweet rebecca, i'm so sorry to hear this. i hope your ban on running is just temporary. i am happy to hear that this won't interrupt our hip shakes during salsa.

ian said...

my sister had a femoral neck stress fracture, so if you have any questions to ask a frustrated runner, i can hook you two up. she's now pain free and running nyc in three weeks, proof that these things heal.
anyway i hope it's not the worst case scenario.
that redhead fact is fascinating.

BagLady said...

That sucks. I have had some running injuries and some brought me to tears because you work so hard and running is THERAPY. I hope the doc has some good news next week. Keep up your spirits.

EmilyR said...

I am going through the SAME THING. I am a runner too, and had been experiencing hip pain i thought was a hip flexor strain. Initially i limped through it, and opted for the elliptical. The pain eventually became unbearable. I saw a chiropractor who diagnosed me with missaligned hips and scoliosis, a doctor that diagnosed me with a pinched sciatic nerve, a physcial therapist who diagnosed with with a torn Labrum and (thankfully)put me on crutches. Finally an MRI revealed the true source of my pain...a femoral stress fracture. I will be on crutches for about a month, and cant stop crying right now. Not only does it hurt like hell, but i am physically unable to do almost anything without tremendous discomfort. As a college student, this injury will prove to be a big strouggle for me. Im was glad to see someone else going through a similar situation.