Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Paying attention

Wednesday morning down on The Drives again. Or 'Drive', I should say as really, I'm only doing an out and back along Kelly Drive - three each way. Ashley had a test to study for late night last night so I was alone today. Again, I was pondering the whole upcoming Daylight Savings time thing. Now I consider myself a fairly smart cookie, but for some reason, I have a really hard time wrapping my head around the whole time/space continuum of the seasonal time change. Just when I have myself convinced that once the time changes it will be lighter in the morning, I realize.. no... I'm wrong, it will be darker earlier... and then I talk myself out of that again. You'd think that the experience of going through 33 years of 'springing forward' and 'falling back' would have helped me know what to expect... but somehow.. not so much. Okay.. enough of that - let's talk running. (But, in fairness, this is what I thought about the entire first mile of my run).

My plan was to do another tempo-ish kind of run like I did last week. First mile was a warm up and came in at 9:01. Second mile was 8:40, third 8:30. Don't you like how I payed attention to my splits this time? Fancy, huh? Picked it up a little for the back three. Fourth mile came in at 8:15. I decided... okay.... pick it up a bit and push it for the fifth mile and you can reward yourself by backing off on the last mile. So I did; fifth mile came in at 8:05. I did ease up a little for the last mile, but I just wanted it to be over and done and when you know it's close, it's kind of hard to slow down. Last mile came in at 8:10. Not bad... three miles below tempo pace. I wondered if there was some fancy running term for this kind of run. I later learned that it's called a Progression Run when you do each mile faster than the last. Makes sense.. isn't very creative though. So I guess this was a progression run... big whoop.

A note on the hip problem I've been having: It's still there. I made a doctor's appointment for next Friday. I have, of course, been trying to self diagnose, looking up things like bursitis and other common hip running injuries. Nothing is really jumping out at me. My hope is that now that my hip knows I mean business (making a doctor's appointment is almost unheard of for me), it will straighten up and fly right. Of course, I'll do what I can to aggravate it between now and then - by doing things like progression runs and maybe even a race on Sunday. We'll see.

6 miles in 50:41

By the way... I was the second fastest Rebecca at the Parkway Run (out of 11).

No comments: