Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Recovery Run

I've been battling this upper respiratory thing since the weekend and I think it's finally loosed it's grip on me. I've done little else the last two days other than sleep, eat soup, drink tea, and watch girly movies that I would otherwise probably not get to watch.

This morning, I decided it was time to get back on the horse (or, the treadmill in this case). I think underestimated just how much this illness thing knocked me on my arse. I've had the good fortune of a fairly strong immune system for most of my life and getting any kind of sickness has been, at most, a once a year thing. I'm also usually of the mindset that I should just be able to pick up where I left off.

Luckily, I'm getting a bit wiser in my old age. I decided to limit my run to three or four miles and to keep it at a 9 minute mile pace. I thought this would be easy. It wasn't. I was trying to gauge whether or not my calf was hurting. I think it felt pretty okay - considering that overall, I felt not so strong. I did change back to my old sneakers.... going on the theory that my new pair is a 'lemon'. I'm not sure whether the improvement in the calf is a result of rest (I haven't done anything since Saturday), the change in sneakers, the fact that I only ran 3.5 miles, or some combination of all of that.

I'm trying to not feel too depressed about all of this. It's hard. I try not to look back at where I was a few months ago. One day at a time.

No comments: