Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Color Purple

I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it. ~ Alice Walker

My original plan to run the Art Museum loop again this Sunday was disrupted, so I found myself headed out to do Tinicum. Again... I chose to avoid the interesting part of the lower loop due to the overgrowth. So it was to be an out and back along the boring part with a loop around Darby Lake.

The sun was shining brightly and, for a change, the humidity wasn't too oppressive. Lately it has been a struggle to enjoy my runs; I faced that challenge again today. Tinicum was beautiful as ever, and I thought of that Alice Walker quote as I rounded Darby Lake and took in the sites. There were a dozen or so herons grouped together, fishing for breakfast against a backdrop of trees, bushes, and some kind of purple flowering plant. Truly beautiful.

I don't have much more to comment on the run itself. While there were points where I was enjoying it, for the most part, I was just looking for it to be over. I did, however, try not to miss taking in and appreciating the beauty that surrounded me.

A little more than 9 (I think) in 80:24.

And... just because.... here's one of my favorite scenes from the movie The Color Purple.