Friday, August 8, 2008

WaWaWhy???

This post will have very little to do with running. In fact, I'll just get it out of the way now - ran 5 miles in 42:30.... felt good and was happy with my pace.

So what is really on my mind today is a disruption in my morning ritual. Many mornings, I stop at WaWa and get a 16oz coffee with skim milk and two girl sugars. I love WaWa.. the stores are always clean and inviting and usually have some fun music playing to bop along to as I make that perfect blend of 3/4 Kona brew, 1/4 Hazelnut. I also pick up something for breakfast. Lately, I've been really digging on the PeakBar Breakfast-To-Go bar in the blueberry flavor. This bar has it all.... fortified with vitamins and minerals, chock full of fiber, not too much sugar, low in fat, and under 200 calories. So what if it kind of tastes like a blueberry dog biscuit.... if you take a bite of it and chase it with a chug of coffee, it's downright tasty!

I've noticed a trend in the last few weeks where my usual WaWa is out of my bar-of-choice. They sometimes have the Cinnamon flavor, but it's not the same and I'll often opt for something else, like a lame NutriGrain bar... but they're kind of wussy and they have too much sugar. I've noticed too at other WaWas, the same trend. Hmm. Well today... they didn't have either flavor and - to add insult to injury - they've taken up the shelf space the bars usually inhabit with stupid cereal cups! Who eats those?!?!?!

So now I find myself awash in a virtual wasteland of breakfast foods... most are overly sugarfied and almost completely devoid of any nutrients. Others are too high in calories for what I want for breakfast. WaWa... why have you forsaken me? Do I not adequately sing your praises?

It's hard to be disappointed by WaWa. There are so few bastions of perfection left in this world. I still love you, WaWa, but things are different now. Innocence is lost.

No comments: