Monday, August 11, 2008

Sweet the Sting

My siblings were in town this weekend for a party celebrating my Dad's impending retirement. Lucky dog. See Amy's blog for pictures of the delicious cakes we made.

One of the zillion things I like about my family is that we're a pretty active bunch. My brother, who stayed with me during the weekend, was totally game for a Sunday morning run. He's seen the lower loop of Tinicum and since he didn't really want to run 8 or 9 miles, I drove us to the upper loop which encircles Darby Lake. The weather was just about perfect - low 70s, not-out-of-control humidity, mostly cloudy skies and Tinicum was still in full bloom with loads and loads of purple flowers. As we made our way around the lake we could see a gathering of white egrets on the other side that probably numbered about forty or fifty. Really amazing.

Scott and I ran the first loop together - keeping a decent clip. I was trying to go a bit easy because I had aspirations of doing between ten and eleven miles, but he was pushing the pace a bit and far be it from me to let my little brother kick my ass. The plan for me was to do two full loops around Darby Lake and then head home from there which would mean half of the upper loop, the connector trail, and the boring part of the lower loop. Scott did two laps around the lake and then took the car and met me at home.

Towards the end of the second loop, I ate a honey energy gel-type thingy... except it's just fortified honey - its not a gooey gel. I usually don't take gels on long runs with me, but I figured that since this is something I typically do when I race longer distances (10 miles or more), it makes sense to do this on long runs of that length too. I think it helped because I was feeling pretty good even during those last two miles.

Made it back to the Pumpkin Patch (my place) in 1:37:04 just as the rain was starting to come down.

No comments: