Monday, May 28, 2007

Pictures from Tinicum

I haven't been able to stop thinking about the turtles. They were/are so cool. Because I'm newly obsessed, I googled some information on how long it takes eggs to hatch once they are laid. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a clear answer - seems that the gestation period can be anywhere from 9 to 18 weeks, depending on the weather. So much for visions I had of late night hikes with flashlights to see the hatchlings pull their way towards the water.

Anyway... I returned to Tinicum today after dropping my sister off at the airport. It was kind of spur of the moment given that I was in a skirt and flip flops (death before sensible shoes), but I managed to hike the initial loop and get a few good shots.

1 comment:

ShoreTurtle said...

Very cool photos. That's exciting that you were able to see them laying eggs.

Have you been to the Wetlands Institute in Stone Harbor, NJ? They help protect Diamonback terrapins. Their staff look for newly laid eggs and mark them the sites. It's really cool to walk along the marsh trail and see all the markers.