Monday, May 21, 2007

Thankful

I can’t express how excited I am that we are having a spring this year. If memory serves correctly, it seems like in the past few years we’ve gone from winter almost right into summer – just glossing over spring. There are a lot of reasons to appreciate this; having great running weather is just one of them.

I took advantage of the nice weather on Sunday and met up with Amy at Lloyd Hall to do the loop. Parking was surprisingly easy – don’t know why, but I’ll take it. The physiology of the run, itself, was rather uneventful. We didn’t set any land-speed records, nor were we aiming to. We kept a nice pace around 9:15 and caught each other up on the various goings-on in our lives.

Amy is someone I met through a mutual friend and we initially began getting together with the purpose of running. That was a few years ago. Since then, we’ve really developed a wonderful friendship and we’ve seen each other through some very high and very low points in both our running and our lives. I didn’t really mean to get all mushy here, but I do like to reflect on this as another thing running has added to my life.

So this post is a celebration of friendship as much as it is a celebration of running and beautiful spring weather. Amy and I have more than just red hair and freckles in common. We make each other laugh, help each other think things through, and – perhaps most importantly – discuss the importance of liking the color of your shoes.

The loop plus some – call it just under 9 in just under 80 minutes.

No comments: