Friday, May 18, 2007

When you're right, you're right

This is a phrase which has been heard with disturbing frequency around the pumpkin patch as of late - especially since it's coming from my lips. I did not want to run this morning. I know, not an uncommon sentiment among early-morning-end-of-the-work-week runners. But I was advised by a wise old sage, that I should get out there, that I would feel better for having done so.

The question became where to run. This winter I logged far too many miles on the treddy, so I knew I didn't want to go there. Besides, the weather has been optimal for running lately and this morning was no exception - overcast, mid 50s, with a nice breeze. Tinicum was likely too wet from yesterday's downpours and Prospect Park is not known for it's glorious running routes, so what to do? Basically, I just winged it - I ran this route with the intention of exploring some of the neighborhoods of nearby Ridley Park.

As I wound my way through the bowels of Southeast Delco, I had a little competition going: Beer distributors vs. Wawas. It was close, folks, but ultimately the Wawas won it, four to three. I kind of liked this route as it presented me with something I’ve been quite unaccustomed to as of late (with all my treddy and Tinicum running) – rolling hills here and there. I dare say that I even enjoyed some of the hills once I was warmed up and in a groove of sorts. So much so that I actually extended my route a bit beyond what I had intended just to get in one more (sort of) hill…. wild woman that I am!

The closer I got to home, the better I felt. It was one of those days where I felt like I could have kept going for at least a few more miles. I haven’t had one of those days in a long time, so that was really nice. As I cooled down and stretched, I felt really good and wanted to hold onto that feeling. I made a mental note, “This is why I run.” And somehow, the morning just got better from there.

5.8 in 53 and change.

No comments: