Friday, July 27, 2007

Absent-mindedness is a quality of lovers

The title of this post comes from a bathroom stall on Berkeley's campus. Go figure.

Since it's Friday, I was slated to go to the track but opted for the gym instead, figuring I could still do sort of an interval workout on the treddy. The goal, again, was 400s. Last week I did four of them. This week I wanted to do five - and faster, of course. I briefly consulted a wise old running sage about at what speed to set the treddy for my 400 intervals. He estimated that 7.7 or 7.8 mph would be about where I would want to be.

Warmed up for a mile and then set to do my first 400. I swore I knew which button to press on my watch to set the timer.. but apparently, I flaked... so that first interval went untimed. I started it at 7.7, but that felt too slow so I increased it to 7.9 and that felt better. The second interval, I somehow typed in 6.9 instead of 7.9 and it took me a while to figure out why it felt so slow. Duh... again - the time factor got messed up. Now I'm thinking, "What the heck, Rebecca? Why are you such a bubblehead today?"

It gets worse.... I can't even remember if I did five or six total intervals. I am pretty sure I did six. What I can remember was that one came in at 1:50, another came in at 1:49, and the last one came in at 1:48. I am pretty sure there was one that I did before the 1:50 one, but I don't remember the time (though I'm sure it was slower). And I don't remember, specifically, what distance I did my 'rest' intervals... sometimes it was 200s, sometimes it was 400s, sometimes it was somewhere in between there.

All in all, I know I ran 5.25 miles... and I think I'm remembering the time right: 45:35.... I think.

No comments: