Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Indoor fireworks

As I sit here contemplating how to form this blog entry about the 10k I ran this morning, all I can really think about is how much I'd prefer to blog about yesterday... which was, incidentally, my birthday. But.. I know this is a running blog, after all, and I know that if I let myself, I'll go on and on about it. Suffice it to say, yesterday was better than I could have ever hoped it to be. Thank you, sweetheart....mein geschenk.

Waking up this morning, we really could not complain about the rain, given yesterdays picture perfect weather. Still, there were some whines beginning to form as we headed out towards Downingtown. Thankfully, it was not raining there, though the clouds and cooler temps remained, which made for good racing conditions.

"Good Neighbor Day" in Downingtown offered three race distances: 5k, 10k, and 15k. Upon registration, we were forced to choose whether we wanted to run in a circle once, twice, or three times. I opted for twice.... felt like Goldilocks's porridge.

Lining up for the race, I wondered how many people were doing each distance and I worried about going out too fast with the 5k folks, who I suspected made up the majority of the race participants. The first mile came in right around 8min 30sec. I haven't raced this distance more than a couple of times, so I wasn't really sure if that was too fast or not. It felt pretty good, so I tried to hang on to that pace. I missed the second mile mark on the first go around. I managed to clock a few other splits at right around 8min 44secs and felt pretty happy with that. Really, my only goal was that Seebo would not finish his 15k before I finished my 10k... and, of course, that was a real possibility. Though the official results are not posted yet, I'm fairly sure that I met my goal. I finished in just over 53 minutes and felt pleased with how I did. I felt good at the end and, of course, then wondered if I could have run it harder.

Looking forward to (more) fireworks with my honey later on this evening.

No comments: