Monday, July 16, 2007

Plan B

Last weekend when I was in Indiana, I did not get in a long run. No big deal really, I was impressed enough with myself that I got in two runs (of any length)while on my mini-vacation. But that meant that I had to do a somewhat respectable distance this weekend. And I had a plan.

After pulling duty as airport taxi at 7am for my friend (and sometimes running partner) Amy, I planned to do the Tinicum loop. Old hat, yeah, but at least it would give me the mileage I was looking for. Well... long story short: Lots o' food from Saturday (BBQ + baseball game)still whoopin' it up in my gut + early morning temps above 80 with high humidity = decision to postpone running. So much for my plan.

I know myself well enough to know that postponing running is not always a smart idea. I'm highly skilled in discovering various reasons why I shouldn't run... or I'll get involved in other things that then somehow supersede the importance of running, etc. Typically, I run in the morning, when I'm too tired to generate such excuses. But, to my credit, I did get in a run... albeit a hamster wheel run. I felt good through out the run and even threw in the occasional elevation change to keep things interesting. It's kind of funny to me that my level of motivation on the hamster wheel is directly related to whether or not there are other treddy jocks suffering in kind. Not much to else say about it, other than it's done. 9.3 miles in 83 minutes (for all you quantitative goobers).

No comments: