Friday, November 30, 2007

Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans

While on the phone the other night with my friend Juliet, this saying came up. Googling it, I've learned that the quote is attributed to John Lennon. This phrase has been rolling around in my head quite a bit lately as I feel somewhat stuck in a rut. I have a lot of plans, a lot of things I want to do and accomplish... and I believe those things will happen... but right now it seems that I am in a bit of a time warp - the kind where everything slows down to a painful crawl and none of those plans or ideas seem even close to fruition. To combat this torpid state, I run faster.

Jumping on the treddy early this morning, I had no real plans, other than mileage. In fact, I planned on running a bit slower than I have been since I haven't been liking the pressure I've put on myself to speed up. Despite feeling like I was really barely running and wanting to speed up, I kept the first mile to just under nine minutes. And then something weird happened.. the treddy just shut down. I don't know why. I couldn't get it to come back on. Rather than try to figure out the art of treddy maintenance, I jumped on the neighboring one. I was pissed though, pissed that my workout had been so rudely interrupted.

It wasn't really a conscious decision to change 'the plan' and run faster, it kind of just happened. My body wanted to go faster; my legs were itching to turn over more quickly. I even wondered if this treadmill was calibrated right (who knows, maybe it wasn't... but we'll just go on the theory that it was). The next four and a half miles were kind of a blur. My iPod was cooperative, playing a mix of songs that were largely up tempo and with just the right amount of angst. The pace hovered right above 8 minute miles... those 4.5 came in at 36:24.

While on the one hand I feel good about the run, on the other, I don't feel like I can take credit for it entirely as it seemed fueled by things other than just my desire and ability to run.

No comments: