Friday, November 2, 2007

On the Mend

This afternoon was my first Physical Therapy session. Keith was very nice and seemed knowledgeable. He put me through many of the same motions Dr. Collina did as well as a few others. Based on his assessment, his best guess is that there is one (or maybe a combination) of three things going on. One: I have a "sports hernia"; Two: I have scar tissue in that area (rectus femorus) from a past injury/wear and tear and that's rubbing against the hip joint; and Three: I have early arthritis. Either way, he gave me an elastic band-thingy along with instructions for two strengthening exercises and one stretching exercise. I'll be a good patient and do these daily. We shall see what happens.

In the meantime, his prescription was to run! Run and keep track of the pain. Being the obedient patient that I am, I went right out for a run.. a quick 4.25 (in 36) - that'll do for now. As is usual, the pain was there mostly in the beginning but eased up after about two, two and a half miles. And, again, it's pain I can live with. So I guess I'm happy with how things are going right now. I forgot to ask him if I can go back to regular mileage - but I'll ask him next week, no biggie. I did remember to ask him if he thought my salsa dancing was in any way related or contributing to the problem. He confirmed what I already knew... its not. Salsa would never hurt me! (Never mind the two inch long gash that's finally healing after two weeks on the top of my right foot - those salseras in their heels can be dangerous!)

The Bridge Run is Sunday. I'm signed up for it, but not feeling in racing mode with all that's gone on lately. Plus, I have some serious salsa plans with Jill for Saturday night. My only saving grace may be the fact that we set the clocks back an hour Saturday night/Sunday morning, so that will give me an extra hour for sweet sleep.

The fall racing season for me started out pretty well. I PRed in three races. While I'm disappointed that things have kind of petered out towards the end, I'm thankful for the good races I had and am looking forward to a healthy spring season.

No comments: