Saturday, March 15, 2008

Hang 10

Over the years, I've heard various 'cures' for hangovers. Ibuprofen and OJ, hair of the dog, etc. Some runners will tell you that a good run will get the toxins out of your system. Well, this morning I had the opportunity to test that particular theory.

It's uncharacteristic of me to drink more than my portion of a bottle of wine shared over dinner. Yesterday's late lunch/early dinner featuring a 'sampling' of ten different wines was quite out of the ordinary. Waking up this morning, I felt good enough to give the run a try and test out the running-hangover-cure hypothesis.

I met the Philly Runners group down by the Art Museum at 9:30 and met up with Dave - an out-of-town runner visiting from Virginia. Dave is a coach for his local high school track and cross country teams and for much of the initial three miles he regaled me with some really interesting local (to Virginia) running history. I was glad to have the company and the added bonus of a history lesson.

As is typical, the headwinds were out in full effect on West River Drive. They were particularly harsh the first mile, which went by in 8:50. Subsequent miles were appreciably faster, hovering around the 8:30 mark. I felt good during this run - better than I anticipated. No calf pain or any other pain to speak of and for that, I was so very thankful.

I ran with Dave for the full loop and then did another mile or so to make it an even ten for the day. Allentown is five short weeks away. I'm shooting for under 1:55, which I think is doable as long as the hills don't kill me too much.

So the verdict on running as a hangover cure.... eh, not great, not bad. I'm surprised how well I ran given my condition. After the run, my head felt thick and hazy and my stomach felt a bit queasy. I think a nice mid afternoon nap is in order.

10 miles in 1:25:30

No comments: